It is projected that by 2020 online video will make up 80% of all internet traffic with 78% of people watch online videos every week and 55% view online videos every day (Source: Cisco and Hubspot). So with such huge importance placed on this digital medium here are 5 tips to ensure your making the most of video content.
- Always shoot videos in landscape. Most social platforms are set up for landscape video and only IGTV and Instagram Stories can play videos filmed in portrait
- If you are filming videos with sound i.e. someone speaking, then try to minimise background noise and get them to speak as loudly and clearly as possible. Without an external mic voices can get lost very easily to even the quietest of background noise.
- If you are filming a person talking in a shot remember the ‘rule of thirds’. Imagine splitting your screen into 3, your subject should be standing in either the left or the right third of the shot with something less interesting in the background in the other 2/3rds of the shot. For example:
- If possible try to use a tripod or phone holder (selfie stick or similar) to hold your device. It gives a smoother video especially if you’re walking around with it, it will help reduce camera shake.
- Finally, phones are absolutely fine for taking video, there is no need for a fancy camera, but if you have one….use it! Most phones will be set to the highest resolution setting but its worth checking before recording.